Presentations & public speaking
I have spoken about my research in conferences, symposia, university-level courses and informal events in Canada, the USA, France, Brazil and South Africa. I have also had the honour to moderate several panels, discussions and other presentations in academic and non-profit settings. Please check out some of my latest public speaking activities below.
Conferences, courses and symposia
- "Caminhantes e caminhadas em três obras recentes de Paulo Nazareth, Regina Parra e Ícaro Lira," Expatriados, Refugiados, Exilados, Turistas e outros caminhantes na produção literária e artística brasileira contemporânea, III Congresso Internacional Línguas, Culturas e Literaturas em Diálogo, UNESP Araraquara, May 22-25, 2022. [Rescheduled due to COVID]
- "Hospitality and Care in Paulo Nazareth's Ol Ori Buruku (2016)," 9th Biennial Graduate Conference, University of British Columbia, October 29-30, 2021.
- "From Self-Translation to Digital Trans-Creation," Transcréations Symposium, organized by McGill University, UQAM and aarea.co, June 10-11, 2021.
- "'Somos todos refugiados... refugiados da falta dos nossos direitos': Migração e moradia em Era o Hotel Cambridge de Eliane Caffé," invited speaker, Brazilian Civilization course at USMA West Point, April 28, 2021.
- "Criminosos, objetos e espectros: figuras migratórias no projeto Notícias de América de Paulo Nazareth (2011)," Invited speaker, Corps migrants, corps épuisés, corps résistants M.A.-level seminar, Sorbonne-Université, December 2, 2020.
- "Figuras da migrância no projeto Notícias de América de Paulo Nazareth (2011)," Invited speaker, II Congresso de Comunicação e Economia Criativa, Universidade Católica de Brasília, October 26, 2020.
- "Marcheuses et marcheurs dans l'art contemporain brésilien," Mastérielle Student Conference, Université Sorbonne-Nouvelle et Sorbonne-Université, February 14, 2020.
- "Intersectionnalité et histoires transnationales : le cas d’étude Irma Stern,” Guest lecture, Course: Arts, genres et sexualités (HAR 2780), Université de Montréal, April 16, 2018.
- “Sculpting Across the Colour Bar in 20th-Century South Africa: Irma Stern’s Sculptures of African Women,” Universities Art Association of Canada Annual Conference, Banff, AB, Oct. 17-19, 2013.
- “Dialogues in Three Dimensions: the Sculpture of Irma Stern (1922-1955),” South African Visual Arts Historians Annual Conference, Pretoria, South Africa, July 5-7, 2012.
- "Representando a migração em museus: história, diversidade e as políticas da memória/Representing migration in museums: history, diversity and the politics of memory", panel featuring Dr. Emily Burton and Dr. Steven Schwinghamer, Projeto Migra, October 19, 2021
- "Créations en urgence", panel featuring cultural manager Samar Kehdy and artist Caetano Carvalho, Projeto Migra, October 13, 2021
- "Traversées clandestines", panel featuring filmmakers Peggy Nkunga and Émilie Beaulieu-Guérette, Projeto Migra, September 25, 2021
- "É caminhando que se faz o caminho", panel featuring visual artists Ícaro Lira and Shambuyi Wetu, Projeto Migra, June 19, 2021
- "Artistas em exílio/Artists in exile", panel featuring Abby Lembersky (City of Asylum, Pittsburgh), Projeto Migra, June 12, 2021
- Curators' roundtable, panel featuring Nancy Perloff (Curator of Modern Art, Getty Institute), Dene Grigar (Washington State University), Gina Cortopassi (UQAM/NT2 Lab), Alexandra Martin (UQAM/NT2 Lab), Livia Benedetti and Marcela Vieira (aarea.co), Transcréations Symposium, June 11, 2021
- "Living with Shadows", panel featuring writer Jude Dibia, Projeto Migra, June 5, 2021
- "Plasticidades da pós-memória", panel featuring visual artists Maimuna Adam and Leila Danziger, Projeto Migra, May 22, 2021
Other public speaking
- Moderator, Working group on visa issues for artists and cultural practitioners, MobilitéS Afrique/Monde, hosted by the Cité Internationale des Arts (Paris), On the Move and Art Moves Africa, July 6, 2021
- Panelist, Mobilité internationale des artistes, with Benjamin Delemeester (CNM), Anaïs Lukacs (Mobicultures) and Corinne Serres (Mad Minute Music), facilitated by Manuèle Debrinay-Rizos (Roberto Cimetta Fund), Babel Med Music XP, November 27, 2020
- Moderator, Working group on communications for artists-at-risk, Safe Havens International Conference, Malmö, Sweden, December 4, 2018